Our environment & sustainability
UCA is committed to reducing the environmental impact of its activities and to becoming a more sustainable organisation. We are actively working to promote sustainability through our teaching, research and operations.
To help the University achieve this we have developed an on-going environmental programme and produced a Carbon Management Plan that aims to reduce our carbon footprint by 34% by 2016 (over 2007 levels). That has been estimated as saving a total of 15,670 Tonnes of CO2 over the lifetime of the plan.
UCA was a participant in the Carbon Trust's Higher Education Carbon Management programme in 2009. Over the past three years we have implemented a range of projects that save energy and help reduce our carbon emissions.
- Carbon emissions by staff and student FTE (full-time equivalent) have dropped by 8.86% since 2007
- The average annual reduction since projects began to be implemented in 2009/10 has been 176 tonnes CO2 per annum
- New recycling schemes have been introduced on all campuses and directly managed student residences
- Food waste composting and collection service at UCA Farnham and UCA Epsom
- Recycling rates have increased to 35% in 2011/12
- From April 2013 all of our campus electricity is being delivered on a green tariff
- Replacement of main Heating Boilers, UCA Farnham (Summer 2010)
- New Buildings Energy Management System installed, UCA Farnham (Autumn 2010)
- New Buildings Energy Management System installed, UCA Epsom (Summer 2011)
- On-going lighting replacement programme using low-energy T5 fluorescent lighting, all campuses.
- All single glazed windows replaced with modern double glazing, Main Building Farnham (2009 - 2012)
- 5HARE car-sharing scheme created. www.5hare.co.uk
- Staff Cycle-to-Work and season ticket loans available
Find out more information about our new teaching block at UCA Epsom here .